SUPEROODS – Our top 5 favourites
SUPERFOODS is the word of the past few years and certainly for a reason! Superfoods are extremely nutrition dense plant based foods that provide many health benefits. Many consider them expensive, but what we must understand when it comes to superfoods and nutrition in general, is that the quality not the quantity is the key! For example, avocados provide our bodies with plenty potassium, good fatty acids and fibre in a small serving and therefore we don’t need to eat lots of them. Then again, you may eat a cheap sugar laden chocolate bar washed down with a fizzy drink and you will not provide your body with any nutrition what so ever! So, everything is relative. So what are our favourite superfoods then?
Here is our top 5 superfoods
1. Avocados- If there was a one single food item you could take to the deserted island, I would recommend you stock up on avocados! Avocados are packed with vitamins such a vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and folate. Avocados have plenty healthy fats as well as fibre and some protein. They are suitable for low carb food lovers too! Fill your hand bags with this easy-on-the-go snack and you are guaranteed to bounce with lots of energy! Did you know that people who eat avocados tend to be healthier??!!
2. Coconuts! In almost every shape and form- coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut water… you name it! Coconut oil is made of something called medium chain fatty acids which are great source of energy. We love splashing this in our superfood smoothies, on our veggies and in a good quality coffee in the mornings! If you struggle with a sweet tooth, try consuming a table spoon of coconut oil on its own and wait 10 minutes. I can almost guarantee you forgot about that piece of cake you were thinking about! Coconut water is full of electrolytes and athletes love this nature’s energy drink (note! Without the nasty sweetners and colorants). Coconut meat is a great snack and keeps your blood sugar levels stable.
3. Wheatgrass- Whether you prefer wheat grass shots or the powder, it doesn’t matter! You are about to take your diet to totally another level! Wheatgrass is extremely dense in vitamin C, which can keep the nasty flus and colds away! Without making any claims here, there are some studies that believe vitamin C can help cancer patients to beat the illness. Wheat grass is full of the essential fatty acids and well as magnesium and potassium. It helps our bodies to neutralize the toxins and helps to protect out DNA. If you are suffering from lack of energy, just add some wheatgrass to your favourite green juice and you will say good bye to sleepy mornings! Chlorophyll (the green colour in greens) carries high levels of oxygen, so if you are suffering from anemia, consider introducing wheat grass to your diet!
4. Maca- Maca root is an adaptogenic which means it helps body to cope with physically or emotionally demanding situations. We love adding maca to baked goods as well as to our smoothies. Many women benefit from usage of Maca; say adios to PMS and irregular periods! Maca can boost fertility both in men and women. It can also boost you stamina and increase your energy levels noticeably. Maca contains over 20 amino acids, healthy fatty acids, selenium, potassium and magnesium. The list is endless! We just love Maca. Click here to see which one we use.
5. Blueberries- Total nature’s superfood! Did you know that frozen blueberries contain many times more vitamin C than the fresh ones? Yep, that’s right. If you are lacking healthy snack ideas for kids, we have just given you an unbeatable hint! Bluberries are also filled with resveratrol which is essential for the heart health. If you want to keep your eye sight going till your 100, don’t underestimate the power of Lutein and zeaxanthin! Blueberries support digestion and fight ageing. We stock up our freezer with organic blueberries and throw them into anything from salads to natural yogurt. Picking wild blueberries is a great way to enjoy the benefits of the nature too!
This coming weekend our SUPERFOOD t-shirts are -20% (as long as stocks last). Use code “superfoodmad” at check out! Make sure you don’t miss out on this great offer.
Welcome to Nutriwear blog!
This first blog post is really just to say hello and introduce ourselves; who we are and what we do! In the future, you will read about anything and everything to do with superfoods, nutrition, fitness and healthy living in general. We promise not to bore you!
The idea for Nutriwear was born in spring 2015. Annamari, a co-founder of Nutriwear, a health food enthusiast and a nutritional therapist saw something that caught her attention in a women’s magazine. Immediately a light pulp was lid in her head. After spotting Beyonce wearing the one and only KALE sweatshirt, she did not only want to own a shirt that had KALE on it but she was also wondering why there were not any other kinds of lifestyle and nutrition inspired t-shirts and tops available. Fitness people have their own statement work out gears so why shouldn’t we superfood crazed people have our own too!
Cory is the man behind the designs and the technical side of the business. Cory has a degree in web and visual design from London, UK where he lived almost 8 years.
We are currently based in Helsinki, Finland. Most of the time, we lead quiet healthy lifestyle in the suburbs of Helsinki where we grow our own vegetable patch, spend time in the nature in the nearby forest and enjoy the fresh air. We share our passion for wheat grass and spirulina. Oh, and coconut oil. All at one go. In a smoothie. Most of our eggs, meat and veggies come directly from local farmers. We strongly believe that good nutrition is a key to a healthy life. Cory is also a basketball fan and plays in a local team. He is also a basketball coach. Annamari enjoys long walks with her daughter but when little “me time” is required, she heads for a jog or yoga practice. We have a beautiful three year old daughter, who has inspired many of our awaiting kids’ designs.
So we embarked on our journey in July 2015. As first time business owners, it was quite a challenge to know where to start. Firstly, all those ideas that had been crafted down on various pieces of paper floating around the flat, needed to be transformed by Illustrator to a format that can be submitted to possible manufacturers. Our search for a suitable manufacturer, who would meet our requirements, was way more complicated than we would have ever imagined. We knew from the start that there is no compromising in quality. We were also determined that we wanted organic cotton for the shirts. There is a natural association between organic cotton, healthy living and nutrition. Organic cotton is environmentally friendly and ensures suitable working conditions for the field workers. This goes together with the ethos we want our brand to represent. Our search took us through Portugal, China and Bangladesh before eventually finding a factory in India that would provide us with GOTS-certified organic cotton.
At the moment, our online shop features 18 men’s and women’s designs. A lot more designs are sitting on our computer. We are absolutely loving this journey that has thought us a lot about running a business and there is no doubt, we are still learning all the time. We are doing this with such a passion that we can hardly wait to expand our collection to new designs, new styles, kids’ collection and many other products we can’t talk about too much quite just yet!
Now you know who we are, we want you to enjoy your shopping experience with us! Please remember to tag us on Instagram and Facebook. We love to see you all good looking people rocking Nutriwear t-shirts!
Have a great day!
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter to ensure that you get this blog straight to your email. As a subscriber you will also receive details about our campaigns and sales ahead of everyone else. We will also inform you about our where abouts such as pop up-stores and trade shows. You will also get your hands on deals that are offered only to the subscribers.