SUPEROODS – Our top 5 favourites
SUPERFOODS is the word of the past few years and certainly for a reason! Superfoods are extremely nutrition dense plant based foods that provide many health benefits. Many consider them expensive, but what we must understand when it comes to superfoods and nutrition in general, is that the quality not the quantity is the key! For example, avocados provide our bodies with plenty potassium, good fatty acids and fibre in a small serving and therefore we don’t need to eat lots of them. Then again, you may eat a cheap sugar laden chocolate bar washed down with a fizzy drink and you will not provide your body with any nutrition what so ever! So, everything is relative. So what are our favourite superfoods then?
Here is our top 5 superfoods
1. Avocados- If there was a one single food item you could take to the deserted island, I would recommend you stock up on avocados! Avocados are packed with vitamins such a vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and folate. Avocados have plenty healthy fats as well as fibre and some protein. They are suitable for low carb food lovers too! Fill your hand bags with this easy-on-the-go snack and you are guaranteed to bounce with lots of energy! Did you know that people who eat avocados tend to be healthier??!!
2. Coconuts! In almost every shape and form- coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut water… you name it! Coconut oil is made of something called medium chain fatty acids which are great source of energy. We love splashing this in our superfood smoothies, on our veggies and in a good quality coffee in the mornings! If you struggle with a sweet tooth, try consuming a table spoon of coconut oil on its own and wait 10 minutes. I can almost guarantee you forgot about that piece of cake you were thinking about! Coconut water is full of electrolytes and athletes love this nature’s energy drink (note! Without the nasty sweetners and colorants). Coconut meat is a great snack and keeps your blood sugar levels stable.
3. Wheatgrass- Whether you prefer wheat grass shots or the powder, it doesn’t matter! You are about to take your diet to totally another level! Wheatgrass is extremely dense in vitamin C, which can keep the nasty flus and colds away! Without making any claims here, there are some studies that believe vitamin C can help cancer patients to beat the illness. Wheat grass is full of the essential fatty acids and well as magnesium and potassium. It helps our bodies to neutralize the toxins and helps to protect out DNA. If you are suffering from lack of energy, just add some wheatgrass to your favourite green juice and you will say good bye to sleepy mornings! Chlorophyll (the green colour in greens) carries high levels of oxygen, so if you are suffering from anemia, consider introducing wheat grass to your diet!
4. Maca- Maca root is an adaptogenic which means it helps body to cope with physically or emotionally demanding situations. We love adding maca to baked goods as well as to our smoothies. Many women benefit from usage of Maca; say adios to PMS and irregular periods! Maca can boost fertility both in men and women. It can also boost you stamina and increase your energy levels noticeably. Maca contains over 20 amino acids, healthy fatty acids, selenium, potassium and magnesium. The list is endless! We just love Maca. Click here to see which one we use.
5. Blueberries- Total nature’s superfood! Did you know that frozen blueberries contain many times more vitamin C than the fresh ones? Yep, that’s right. If you are lacking healthy snack ideas for kids, we have just given you an unbeatable hint! Bluberries are also filled with resveratrol which is essential for the heart health. If you want to keep your eye sight going till your 100, don’t underestimate the power of Lutein and zeaxanthin! Blueberries support digestion and fight ageing. We stock up our freezer with organic blueberries and throw them into anything from salads to natural yogurt. Picking wild blueberries is a great way to enjoy the benefits of the nature too!
This coming weekend our SUPERFOOD t-shirts are -20% (as long as stocks last). Use code “superfoodmad” at check out! Make sure you don’t miss out on this great offer.